Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Queen

Yesterday, I went to visit with the queen --- unfortunately, I had a previous engagement when she could visit with me --- so I will have to save that for another time. But, I have to say, I have got so much American independence in me that I can understand why we rebelled against the Brits. This is Buckingham Palace below here --- and notice the operative word, "palace," where as ours is the White "house." Not to say that justifies our gigantic house for our President --- but at least it is not called the White Palace. So we started off at Buckingham Palace and then went to the British Museum. At the British Museum I only went to the Enlightenment exhibit. If any of you know me rather well --- you will know I am facinated by the study of modernity and post-modernity. Well the Enlightenment was what sparked what we now call modernity. Below you will see a picture of catologuing plant life and their reproductive organs. This is a true example of Modernity --- where we try to categorize all life forms. The terrible thing that came about as a result of this is the cataloguing of humans. This espoused racism, where we said that some humans were more evolved then others and some religions more evolved then others. If any of you would like to talk further on Modernity, please let me know --- it is a subject that fascinates me. It can be summed up in Descartes phrase: "I think, therefore, I am."
Later we also went on a walk of the Millenium Bridge --- only because my sister said I had to. But I got this great shot from there. I am standing over the River Thames.
That afternoon I decided to go and watch a Cricket match. They play everyday in a park that is right across the street from where we are staying. I think I understand better how Cricket is played. I think it is a cross between Baseball and Hockey. Because the major thing you are doing with your bat is defending this wicket thing. That has the three posts. If your Wicket gets hit by the ball then you are out --- or something like that. As you can tell --- I don't completely understand the game --- but I think that you are playing offense at the same time you are playing defense.
Today we are heading to the Methodist Museum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Philip,

I am enjoying the blog. Livia and I went to England a few yrs ago and it is good to see it again and to hear you tell the stories.

Thanks,

Robby