Friday, April 11, 2008

Tithing

During my interview at Piedmont Community College in Roxboro, NC I had another question that came from a man named Nick. Nick asked where the Church came up with the idea of having to give 10% of you income to the Church. He said: "Where does the ten percent idea come from?" I told him about this passage in the book of Malachi --- you all can look it up if you want --- it is Malachi 3.10. Then Nick made this statement: "But the thing that gets me is that a book that has been passed down from generation to generation has to have flaws." I think with the last part of Nick's response he is getting to the heart of the matter about the 10% question. How do we know 10% is the way to go --- if we can't trust what the Bible says? Maybe some controlling people put that in there to force us to give away our money, so that they can have more power and control. That is a valid question. And it is a question that will be addressed in the future. What we are planning on doing is compiling as many questions as possible and then making your questions into an actual worship service --- that is why this is called WikiWorship, because you all are going to edit the content of the worship service around your questions. So please keep them coming. These are big questions and they deserve time and thought, but we need your help. What do you all think about Nick's question?
Also, I am sorry that I didn't get a picture of Nick. Nick, when you read this, if you want to send me a picture I will upload it.

No comments: