Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ephesians 5.21-33

This Sunday I will be preaching from a very controversial passage, that being Ephesians 5.21-33. This is the famous passage that has in it: "Wives, be subject to your husbands as you are to the Lord." The reason I am doing this is because I have been preaching a sermon series on the letter to the Ephesian Church. The lectionary just skipped over this passage, and I didn't think it would be right to just skip over it. I think this is something that has caused a lot of hurt in the church (similar to the picture that you can see above). When this passage is in certain people's hands I think they can use this as a weapon to inflict harm. But, on the other hand, scripture teaches us that all scripture is inspired by God. In light of those two things I am looking forward to seeing what God will share with us this coming Sunday. But, I would love to hear from you all. You can share what you think about verse 22 that I quoted earlier ----- or maybe verse 33: "Each of you, however, should love his wife as himself, and a wife should respect her husband." Let me know what you all think.

No comments: