Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What I have been reading

Now that I have not been in school I have been reading some interesting books. One in particular that I have been with for a long time ------ is a book by a man named Nicholas Lash. It is called Easter In Ordinary: Reflections on Human Experience and the Knowledge of God. One fascinating quote that he has that has caused me to want to finish this very thick book is: "I am almost inclined to say that philosophers have no expertise except disciplined attentiveness and somewhat suspicious curiosity. They may be industrious but theirs is a service industry. They conquer no new territories and fashion no new products. All that philosophers (and, I would argues, theologians) have to work on is other people's conversations." What do you all think he means by "disciplined attentiveness" and "suspicious curiosity"?

No comments: