Monday, September 13, 2010

Jeremiah 8.18 - 9.1

This coming Sunday I will be preaching from Jeremiah 8.18 - 9.1. One verse that sticks out to me at first glance is 9.1, where the prophet says: "O that my head were a spring of water, and my eyes a fountain of tears, so that I might weep day and night for the slain of my poor people!" I wish that we all were like this ----- where we have cried and wept for the people of our communities. And we have done that for so long that we have run out of tears. Oh, if we were to have broken hearts ---- like God's broken heart over the indifference, the devastation, the murders, the losses, the grief, the hypocrisy........ Here the prophet is grieving over the situation and place the people are in ----- specifically the "slain poor people". What would the church look like if there were people that wept day and night?

No comments: