Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Galatians 2.15-21

This coming Sunday I will be preaching on Galatians 2.15-21. Verses 19-20 say: "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Sometimes there are other translations that change the words "faith in the Son of God" to: "by the faith of the Son of God." This is a huge difference ----- and it is one that I am going to focus on. This faith is not some sort of force that we exert on situations that cause things to change ----- instead, this is Christ's faith that changes situations. Christ's faithfulness to the Father lead him to the cross. Through Christ's faithfulness we are crucified with him ----- this isn't something that we can do by the sweat of our brow. Therefore, because of Christ's faithfulness we lean to him as our hope and our assurance, for the life we live is according to his faithfulness. Do you all see the difference between these two translations? What do you think?

1 comment:

Marquest Burton said...

Greetings! Brother Philip

I respectfully disagree that there is a difference between those translations that have faith in and faith of the Son of God due to the fact that I firmly believe faith is a product of God's great mercy, grace, and infalliable word. Therefore I contend that we must possess that self-same faith that the Lord Jesus had in order to overcome the adversities, difficulties, and problems of this life.

Peace be unto you!

Marquest Burton