Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Galatians 1.11-24

We started a sermon series on Galatians last Sunday. This week we will continue in the first chapter of Galatians. One interesting thing to me in this passage is how Paul talks of his being set apart by God. God says something similar to Jeremiah when God says: "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you." (Jeremiah 1.5) The Apostle Paul says: "But when God, who had set me apart before I was born and called me through his grace." (Galatians 1.15) This is an interesting statement to me because of the prevalence of God's grace. The grace of our Lord was calling Paul before he was born ----- even while he was in his mother's womb. Some people would say that Paul is being arrogant at this point ----- but we must understand that he is talking about God's grace. Is it possible for us to look at what Paul is attesting to as not being prideful or arrogant? Instead, can this be viewed as his humble attestation to the immensity and enormity of God's grace?

No comments: