Wednesday, November 5, 2014

"The Barge"

This last Sunday we celebrated our time on "The Barge".  It was so cold ------ which I think was a good reminder of why we need to go inside.  When you don't have walls up at a church ------ both metaphorically & physically ------- there is some extreme discomfort that comes with that.  But, we have also experienced what worship can be like.  It can be in open spaces, it can be in the public square, it can be easy & simple, it doesn't have to cost a lot of money, it can be open to people from all walks of life, and it can be a time to live into God's Kingdom in imaginative and creative ways. 

As I have reflected back on our time of being on "The Barge" I am overwhelmed with the generosity of Carl Marshburn, who owns the Henrietta III and "The Barge".  He has been so kind to us and so generous with his resources.  I can't say thank you enough. 

Also, I am in awe of the many people that have made The Anchor their home through our time on "The Barge".  You all have truly been a blessing to me and words cannot express how grateful I have been to journey with you all through this time.  You all are passionate in your love for the Lord and in your love for one another.  I have beautiful images in my mind of standing and singing ------- and people are walking along the River Walk getting a glimpse at what "church" can be.  I have images of eating donuts and drinking coffee ------ and in that simple moment walls of division come tumbling down through that grace-filled act.  I have images of dogs coming to worship -------- and in that simple act God smiles as all creation tells of God's glory.  I have images of strangers holding hands and praying ------ I have images of people sharing their experiences with tear-filled eyes ------- I have images of reading scripture -------- I have images of black people & white people & asian people singing with one voice ------- I have images of children running -------- and in that moment, I hear Jesus say: "I make all things new". 

Thank you for a great summer of worshiping together with all of you saints of God.  I am humbled by the fact that I can call all of you my friends.  Let's live lives that are radical ------ and let's do it together.  Let's cast aside all the religious baggage, and the dividing walls of hostility.  And instead let us live lives for the common good ------- for in that grace-filled act we are proclaiming that Jesus Christ is Lord. 

No comments: