Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Luke 2.1-20

This coming Christmas Eve I will be preaching on Luke 2.1-20. I love this passage ---- and especially how the King James Version (KJV) puts verses 11-14: "For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." The KJV just makes my heart remember days of sitting around and listening to my Dad read from Luke. When I hear "for unto you is born this day", I think that it is addressed to me. That this child ----- was born to me. Interestingly, notice that this address is presented to shepherds in the fields ----- and not to the child's parents. For this child ------ who has come to bring salvation to sinners ----- was born for the whole world. Even poor, peasant shepherds ------ even poor fisherman ------ even tax collectors and prostitutes ------ even the lame, the blind, the destitute ----- and even you and me. This child is our King ----- one who is to reign in our hearts and over all the earth, as we do like the shepherds did in verse 20: "glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them." Merry Christmas to all of you.

No comments: